Many chimneys venting gas, oil furnaces, or hot water heaters may appear to be in fine condition on the outside. But inside
it could be a completely different situation. Yesterday's chimneys were not designed for venting today's more energy
efficient appliances. It's what's inside that really counts.
Chimney problems can cause illness and even loss of lives. It's happened thousands of times – illness, even death, from
carbon monoxide or sulfur dioxide poisoning. With deterioration of the flue, the deadly gases can find their way into your
home through even the smallest cracks.
In severe cases, the chimney erosion will lead to partial or complete internal collapse, blocking the flue and sending these
poisonous gases into the home. But fortunately, the problems of a deteriorating gas or oil furnace flue can be corrected
without completely rebuilding your chimney.